The advanced imaging and powerful treatment modes of our TrueBeam™ allow our doctors to tailor treatments specific to your particular cancer.
The Linear Accelerator from Varian Medical Systems is an advanced radiotherapy system that opens up treatment options for some of the most complex cancers in areas such as the head and neck, lung, breast, abdomen and liver.
How does it work?
The Linear Accelerator combines imaging, beam delivery and sophisticated motion management to accurately and precisely target tumors with speed.
Here are some quick facts:
- It rotates around the patient to deliver a prescribed radiation dose from nearly any angle.
- An accessory called a multileaf collimator (or MLC) is what shapes the beam. It has 120 computer-controlled “leaves” or “fingers” that create apertures of different shapes and sizes. The leaves sculpt the beam to match the 3-D shape of the tumor. These can move and change during treatment to target the tumor and minimize dose to the surrounding healthy tissue.
- Additional functionality provides for the acquisition of a cone-beam CT, a form of CT, using 25% less X-ray dose than compared with earlier image-guided technologies. This means patients can be exposed to less X-rays/radiation.
- Real-time imaging tools allow clinicians to “see” the tumor they are about to treat. This gives them confidence, and they can target tumors with accuracy measured in millimeters.
- It can be used for many forms of advanced treatment techniques including image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT), intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) and RapidArc® radiotherapy technology. Because of this, patients can receive the treatment that is best suited for their specific clinical circumstances.