Hutchinson Regional Medical Center is home to three Clorox Optimum-UV Enlight devices. One is dedicated to Surgical Services, and the other two are used on the inpatient units, ED, and Cath Lab.
The Clorox Healthcare™ Optimum-UV Enlight™ kills more than 30 healthcare-associated infection-causing pathogens in five minutes at a distance of eight feet, including a 4-log reduction of Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) spores and a greater than 5-log reduction of more than 20 pathogens such as methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), vancomycin-resistant Enterococci (VRE) and carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE).
The system does not replace manual surface disinfection performed with EPA-registered disinfectants. Manual surface disinfection is essential for removing soils and killing pathogens on surfaces. UV devices offer an extra layer of cleaning by inactivating microorganisms that may not have been removed during the manual cleaning process. UV-C works by disrupting the DNA sequence of organisms. This renders the cell unable to grow or reproduce, and without the ability to reproduce the cell cannot infect and it rapidly dies.
The Optimum-UV Enlight™ System produces UV-C energy via ultraviolet lamps that kill microorganisms by inactivating their DNA.
- Following regular terminal room cleaning, the device will be employed. UV treatment takes about 15 minutes to complete an entire room. Daily use of the devices will eventually include all inpatient rooms after discharge, beginning with all isolation room discharges.
- In OR, the devices will be used after rooms are terminally cleaned at the end of the day.
- The Cath Labs, Interventional Radiology, and the C-section room will be treated monthly, and the Emergency Department will be treated quarterly.
- There is no noise associated with the use of the machines; however, after treatment you may smell a faint hot dust smell, which dissipates quickly.
- If you see a sign hanging from a patient room door stating “CAUTION: Protecting Patients, Cleaning with UV,” treatment is in progress, do not open the door. The system will stop if motion is detected.
Is UV surface treatment safe?
- The Optimum-UV Enlight™ System does not generate any harmful byproducts or leave behind any residual substances.
- The devices have four infrared motion/heat sensors that will detect if anyone is entering the room. The system will stop if motion is detected.