Our family, caring for yours
The Hutchinson Regional Healthcare System (HRHS) provides medical care to Reno county residents and the surrounding area. I am proud to be the president and CEO of an organization that is an active part of the community and the largest employer in the county, with 1350 employees.
We are a locally-owned and governed community hospital, whose service area includes Reno and the surrounding counties. More than 40 years ago a group of visionary leaders made history when they successfully combined two competing hospitals into one united entity that could serve all the healthcare needs of the area. In 1975, the merger was one of the first of its kind in the nation.
In the decades since, the hospital and its affiliate entities have provided quality medical care to tens of thousands of our neighbors. We have worked hard to stay up-to-date with the changing requirements of providing quality healthcare. Recently, we took a giant leap forward with the successful completion of several projects and updates that will serve us well for many years to come.
On August 21, 2018, the new Intensive Care Unit received their first patient in a flawless transition from old to new, a 19-month project that was completed ahead of schedule and under budget, something uncommon on projects of this magnitude. The $25 million project ranks as the fourth largest construction project in the history of Hutchinson and included installation of a state-of-the-art Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Suite. The Siemen’s Magnetom Aera 48 coil 1.5 Tesla MRI scanner is the most advanced MRI technology available in southwest and south central Kansas, including Wichita. The MRI can produce incredibly high resolution images of internal organs, particularly the heart, intestines and prostate.
Also, a portion of the upgrade included a significant improvement of the hospital’s infrastructure. As is often the case, the Hutchinson Regional Medical Foundation contributed $6.7 million towards the $25 million project.
In August, the American and Kansas Hospital Associations awarded Hutch Regional the 2018 Grassroots Champion Award in recognition for our efforts in generating grassroots support for the hospital’s mission. The award was created to recognize hospitals who most effectively educate elected officials on how vital issues affect our role in the community.
On September 24, 2018, HRHS completed a major milestone with implementation of OZ, a new Electronic Health Record (EHR) system. Several years of exhaustive planning and training resulted in the successful implementation of a $20 million upgrade. Our goal is to increase efficiencies and reduce repetition in the utilization of electronic health records.
Our family of healthcare providers includes:
- Hutchinson Regional Medical Center (HRMC) – A not-for-profit, 190-licensed bed, acute-care hospital serving the heath needs of the more than 65,000 residents of Reno county and the surrounding communities. HRMC is accredited by the Joint Commission, a prestigious national organization that grades healthcare institutions on quality measures.
- Horizons Mental Health Center – Established in 1968, Horizons provides residents of Reno, Barber, Harper, Kingman and Pratt counties with a full range of out-patient mental health services including individual & family therapy as well as community service such as case management and psychosocial group therapy. We provide integrated care through community partners. Horizons’ dedicated and professional staff is committed to providing exceptional behavior health care.
- Hospice & Home Care of Reno County – Hospice provides medical support services for patients diagnosed with life-threatening illness. Hospice is accredited by the Joint Commission. Care is provided in the home or at Hospice House, a warm and comfortable facility conveniently located close to Hutchinson’s other medical providers. HomeCare provides in-home health care services for acute and chronic needs. During the past year, more than 3,000 people in the area utilized Hospice and HomeCare services. The agency also provides outreach services including Palliative Care, a Community Pulmonary Program and Care Transitions.
- Health-E-Quip – Our home medical equipment supply company makes the transition from hospital to home easier, improving the recuperation experience for our patients. We are TJC Accredited and consistently voted #1 provider of medical equipment by The Hutchinson News.
- Hutchinson Regional Medical Foundation – Since 1979, the Foundation has solicited and managed private donations that support patient care throughout HRHS.
What really sets HRHS apart is its people. Providing kindness and care is important to our employees because our patients are also our families, friends and neighbors. We are strong because our people are strong – our staff, physicians, volunteers and community. Kansans get the job done.
I am privileged to lead this fine organization into the future. Hutchinson Regional Healthcare System is one large family of genuinely kind and caring individuals providing care. This is our family, caring for yours.
We are committed to enhancing the quality of life through integrated healthcare and to making our communities healthier, one patient at a time.
Ken Johnson, President and CEO
Hutchinson Regional Healthcare System