About the Academy
Hutchinson Regional Healthcare System developed the Hutchinson Regional Academy as an opportunity to provide high school students with a structured learning experience in a hospital setting. Students will participate in both observational experience and hands-on learning, side-by-side with Hutchinson Regional Healthcare System healthcare professionals. The Hutchinson Regional Academy is a paid summer internship program, designed specifically for high school students completing 10th, 11th or 12th grade.
"The Academy Program was an overall great experience that taught me a lot of valuable information. I was able to participate and perform in a variety of different areas. Some areas that I found most interesting and useful were Surgery, Rehab Services, and lastly my time spent with Dr. Fan. He was a great teacher and showed me a better perspective of health care. There were many people I met all throughout the hospital, and everyone was friendly. I thank everyone that helped give me this opportunity and made the Academy Program continue another year!" - Raven Bright
How to Apply
Applications will be available from any Reno County high school guidance counselor’s office, or online here. Preference is given to:
- Students who are residents of Reno County & have an interest in exploring healthcare as a career
- Students who are
- At least 16 years of age
- Have completed 10th, 11th, or 12th grade by June 6, 2020,
- Must have an overall GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale
- Plus, an overall Science GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale, or a 4.0 on a 5.0 scale,
- Strong focus on those students who are performing well and stand out as leaders within their schools and communities.
Students will be accepted into the program based upon meeting the above criteria and taking part in a pre-employment interview.
- Paid internship.
- Eight week program beginning on June 1, 2020.
- Students will average 18 hours per week.
- Graduation Dinner for academy interns, parents, select System staff, Board Members, and select school staff.
- Students will make a brief presentation on their experience and on their specific area of interest to the Scholarship Committee.
- Two (2) $500 Scholarships will be awarded at the Graduation Dinner to the two students exhibiting the best performance during the program.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MARCH 23, 2020.
For more information call Lexie Thulin at 620-665-2262.